Whether you’re headed to a 5-star beach resort, a European culinary tour, or a Caribbean cruise, one of the first things you have to think about when traveling is what jewelry to take with you. You might even want to pick up some new startling pieces that go well with your most eye-catching outfits. Check out this pre-vacation guide for do’s and don’ts and other travel jewelry tips!
Essential types of travel jewelry to take with you
The types of jewelry you should bring with you can be influenced by your destination. If you’re planning a beach vacation, for instance, you might prefer to bring some minimalist Bohemian-inspired pieces and perhaps some jewelry with relevant themes, like those featuring dolphins, waves, and sun images. On the other hand, if you’re planning to explore the museums of Italy or France, you might prefer some jewelry that’s a bit on the formal side.
In general, however, you can’t go wrong by choosing pieces from the following list:
- Gold dangle earrings – These are the little black dresses of earrings, suitable for almost any type of outfit.
- Statement ring – An eye-catching statement ring is appropriate for a night out at a fancy restaurant.
- Layering necklaces – Avoid chunky chains; keep your layering necklaces light and simple.
- Statement earrings – Large, brightly colored earrings can do much to make any outfit pop. Select statement earrings in a color that would match well with at least a couple of your outfits.
In addition to these choices, any simple gold or silver necklaces and bracelets and small hoops or stud earrings would make excellent travel jewelry.
The don’ts of traveling with jewelry
Before packing your bags, take a minute to remind yourself of the don’ts of traveling with jewelry, as follows:
- Don’t bring valuable jewelry (either in dollar signs or sentiment), as there is the potential for it to be lost or stolen.
- If you’re heading to the beach, don’t bring jewelry that will tarnish in the saltwater.
- Don’t forget to get your engagement/wedding rings insured before you leave if they were expensive.
- Don’t take off your jewelry when you’re going through security at the airport (TSA prefers this).
The do’s of traveling with jewelry
Now that you know all about the don’ts of choosing travel jewelry and transporting it with you on vacation, it’s time to take a look at some do’s. First, it’s best to choose only a handful or so of pieces to bring with you. The more jewelry you take, the more you have the potential to lose. And although it’s best not to bring pieces that are particularly valuable, if you do choose to do so, be sure to lock them away in the hotel safe.
Do try to choose pieces that would go well with multiple outfits for maximum versatility. And if you’re flying to your destination, wear your jewelry on the plane and/or pack it in your carry-on bag.
Find gorgeous travel jewelry at F. Silverman Jewelers in NJ
F. Silverman Jewelers is your source for drop-dead gorgeous travel necklaces, travel bracelets, travel earrings and more. Our knowledgeable jewelers service customers in Upper Saddle Rive, Saddle River, Montvale, and beyond! We are here to offer advice and guidance as needed, but we never pressure our customers. You can shop for your next addition to your collection in a friendly, hassle-free environment. Contact F. Silverman Jewelers with any questions you may have or stop by our store in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey today!